Again, this is not related to game dev, but it might be useful for who want to upload cel shade on sketchfab. I’ll be using Cinema 4D, and I think it’ll compatible with all 3D Software out there. Let’s jump to the point:
- Get your models sketchfab ready, make sure that you don’t have any bones / skin. You can just bake the skin. Then Combine / Merge all of your model into one mesh.
- Now make a new black material, just ignore that Display tag I add, but adding display tag would make it easier to see. In Cinema 4D, right click your outline model and choose Cinema 4D Tags > Display then turn on Backface Culling.
- Go to Polygon / face mode, and select all, and then extrude it a little.
- This is not really necessary, but this could lighten up your model. After extruding, reverse selection your polygon selection and then delete it. In Cinema 4D, press U+I
- Now select all again and then reverse normal, in Cinema 4D, press U+R
- Now you finally get fake cel outline, let’s export to FBX and upload to sketchfab.
- Choose black outline material that you created and set Face Rendering to Single Sided. And you just need to setup your model. If you want to get Cel shade, then use Emitter on all your model without any diffuse or something.
- Take a look at my fake cel outline